Tuesday, April 13, 2021

"The Customer is Always... Right?"

 As you know for those who read my previous post, I work at Muncie's local skating rink. A few weeks ago at my part time job there was an order mix up on breadsticks. This older lady ended up throwing an absolute fit because she didn't get the two orders she wanted. I apologized, even though it was not my fault because I was not working alone. I asked this woman if she wanted to wait another 7 minutes and I could make her a new order. She refused and rudely asked for her money back, along with snarky comments under her breath. So, I ended up giving this woman her $3.25 back., sat it on the counter, and helped another person. Next thing I know, the quarter came FLYING at my head. The words that came out of my mouth next were, "do you want your quarter back?" as she walked away shaking her head at me. To make this long backstory short, I ended up getting my boss and he dealt with this woman. She 'apologized' but denied she actually threw the quarter (even though there were eye witnesses to the matter) And yes, I kept the quarter.

The point of the story has to do with the famous slogan "the customer is always right". Over the past few years we have seen countless 'Karens' throwing fits and usually getting their way at  certain places restaurants or anywhere where food is involved. Of course, they have the freedom to speak and say what they want, and because of that 'its my first amendment right'  mentality, they usually do. But isn't there a line that gets crossed? I certainly think throwing something at an employee is a line. I could have used my 'first amendment' rights to call her a bunch of names and thrown something right back at her. But of course if I did so I would lose my job most likely.  

Another incident that goes along with the previous story has to do with yet another rude adult. There were countless customers at the counter and most were children. I was taking an order when this woman appearing out of no where rudely interrupts me and says "I was next, these kids keep cutting me." I started to let her tell me her order, but then made my mind up thinking about the last rude woman who threw a quarter at me and told this lady, "I choose who is next, you should tell this kids to quit cutting and use your adult voice." The lady then rudely proceeds to try and talk to me, calling me a bunch of horrendous names. I think I got under her skin when I used 'my first amendment rights' against hers and chose to ignore her the entire time, taking other peoples orders. My boss ended up being on my side on this incident yet again. Luckily, I have a boss who cares about his employees. Yet there are some places out there who do not because of that 'customer is always right' notion.  

If a person gets their order wrong or does not get their way, does that give them the right to be rude towards the server who is just trying to do their job and who was nice the entire time? I have seen incidents happen countless times in this fashion. I have also overheard many people state along with the complaint 'its my first amendment right' and 'the customer is always right'. Yet, employees at the establishment rarely get to defend themselves with their 'rights'. And if they do, they most likely get fired. Shouldn't employees have the ability to defend themselves if its not derogatory towards the customer? I believe we should have the freedoms of doing so. If a customer is able to be insulting towards an employee, then we at least can be able to defend ourselves based on facts and not as how the customers talk to an employee. That to me is a basic first amendment right, wouldn't you say?



2 comments:

  1. I related to your customer service stories so much, Lauren--I've worked at a local bar/restaurant for awhile and the things I've seen and endured there are incredible. They're very familial there and known for having servers that talk back to rude customers (I'm one of them), though, so the "customer is always right" phrase is nonexistent there haha! In the end, these are places of business and therefore employees are bound to certain etiquette--but businesses also have the right to ban patrons for unruly behavior. I think that there's room for discussion on the idea of "professionalism" equaling "let people do/say whatever they want to you," but in terms of freedom of speech, it's up to the businesses to decide what kind of behavior is accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you have such frustrating experiences as someone who has to work in customer service. I think this is a classic example of people applying the "First Amendment" rule to all areas of life, even though the First Amendment is only supposed to protect you from the government, not angry JC Penny managers and the like. The mean kids in my middle school loved to declare, "it's a free country!" after saying/doing something cruel, and I feel like it's a very similar practice in the realm of grown-ups. Like we mentioned in class a while ago, the First Amendment is supposed to apply to political beliefs, and there is nothing political about the average business transaction where this sentiment is being weaponized.

    ReplyDelete

Cancel Culture isn't real...sorta

  When it comes to free speech conversations, we often talk about “cancel culture” and the harm deplatforming does to people and their car...